Saturday 28 December 2013

The hunt for heat: part 2 (financial oblivion)

I'm off skiing today (Austria) and decided I should bite the bullet and buy the Mongolia gear that I could also wear skiing.

I've decided that Snow and Rock is unquestionably the best place to buy your outdoors gear in London.  If you buy British Mountaineering Council membership (£14.99 if you pay by direct debit) you get a stonking 20% off anything full priced.

After much humming and hahing, I went with the Norrona Lyngen 750 down jacket (see earlier post - the Hunt for Heat).  I spent the extra 100g or so to get the full rather than the lightweight version.  I also bought a Norrona fleece mid-layer.



Norrona is unquestionably the best fit for me- I'm 5'10, 68kgs and normally take a size 10 for comparison's sake - I went for size 10 in the mid-layer and 12 in the jacket to make sure I could move in it.

For base layers, turns out that NO base layers do a long leg (why? Why?) so I went for good old Icebreaker 100% merino 200 WM.  They feel a bit baggy and short in the leg and body but I guess it's the wool and everyone tells me they're the best...




I'll report back once they've slid down the slopes a few times!  That's not my shapely behind in the weird invisible lady photos btw. 

No comments:

Post a Comment